Bruton Parish Church

Address: PO Box 3520, Duke of Gloucester Street
City: Williamsburg
State: VA
Zip: 23187
Phone: 757-229-2891

Bruton Parish Church served as the center of political, religious and social life in the colonial capital, Williamsburg. The original brick church, built in 1683, was replaced by the cruciform church designed by Governor Alexander Spotswood in 1710. While it has been modified over the years to meet the needs of its parishioners, the church retains its 18th century character in the heart of Colonial Williamsburg. The churchyard continues to interest visitors as it is the resting place of many luminaries. In the 1930s, the Garden Club invested in planting for the churchyard, but more recently, because of heavy visitation, a plan was implemented to accommodate visitors while protecting the grounds by expanding paved areas and providing a circuit path through the cemetery.

Year: 1936
Landscape Architect: Arthur Shurcliff

Worked directly with Bruton Parish Church to remove or prune existing trees and plant new ones in the churchyard.

Year: 1939
Landscape Architect: Arthur Shurcliff

Working with Colonial Williamsburg prepared a landscape plan

Year: 1955
Landscape Architect: Alden S. Hopkins

Expansion of terrace area and extensions of walls

Year: 2003
Landscape Architect: William D. Rieley

Plan for brick terrace and memorial garden.

Bruton Parish Church before
Bruton Parish Church after