Burwell-Morgan Mill

Address: 15 Tannery Lane
City: Millwood
State: VA
Zip: 22646
Phone: 540-955-2600
Website: http://www.clarkehistory.org/

Nathaniel Burwell, a Tidewater planter, and Daniel Morgan, a Revolutionary War general, undertook the construction of the original stone mill in 1782 and completed it in 1785. They located it on Spout Run, a tributary of the Shenandoah River, and convinced the local government to relocate a turnpike to provide convenient access. At the height of production, the mill operated 24 hours a day, seven days a week, producing both flour and grist for shipment worldwide. The milling continued without interruption even through the Civil War until 1953. At the request of the Clarke County Historical Association, who acquired the mill in 1964, the Garden Club of Virginia began work on the grounds around the mill in 1972. Predominantly native plants enhanced the mill and its spillway and race. In addition, planted pathways provide a scenic walk through the grounds taking pedestrians over small wooden or stone bridges and affording them views not only of the garden and meadows, but of the mill itself and the millerтАЩs house. A post and rail fence sets the scene from the roadway. Of course, it is the water itself which is the dominant feature of the landscape. From the mill pond through the mill race and spillway and eventually to Spout Run and the Shenandoah River, the flow of water illustrates how it was diverted and channeled to turn the massive grinding stones.


Year: 1973
Landscape Architect: Griswold, Winters and Swain

Landscape setting